Monday, February 9, 2009

frustrating day

It is only Monday; it is only 10:40 in the morning; it has been a horrible day. I don't understand my daughter. She wants to be homeschooled so she says but she doesn't want to do any work. She wants to be unschooled--to her that means she doesn't have to do anything. I know there are so many things she needs to learn and she has the capability to do so. She is lazy and has a serious heart problem, especially when it comes to resepect for us as her parents. I so want to give up and put her in public school. She would do well there I am sure, since they require so little of students. I know that is not the right thing, though. I am determined to persevere through this but I hope I don't destroy any chance of a relationship with her in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hugs and prayers as you seek a decision for you and yours= from Meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, becky - i am a member of the daybook society (notes from thicket cottage and croft) and followed your link here. you must do what is best for your family, of course, but i was thinking that maybe the two of you could come to a compromise, with her choosing an "unschooling day" (or two) in which she can set her own agenda and report back to you what she has discovered on her own (even if it is just how to sleep until noon and watch TV all night - there is some value in that on occasion, i must say LOL). i don't know what curriculum you are using, but i am sure that there are some subjects in which she could move along more quickly than others (or perhaps all of them), and the carrot of graduating early would help as well. this tactic worked quite nicely with my two nieces. they are intelligent, creative girls, but i despaired of their laziness!! until i realized that they could do so much more than i was asking of them. one graduated six months early and is doing wonderfully in college, and the other is to graduate one year early. i hope this helps a little bit - my prayers are with your family! - mrs. shields

    ReplyDelete