Tuesday, October 27, 2009

goodbyes are hard


Miss Musicwriter went back to college tonight. She had been home since last Friday night. I can't begin to put in words how nice it was to have all the chicks in the nest once again if even for a short time. I knew I would be sad when the time came to drop her off at the carpool that would take her back to campus, away from me once again. Four weeks and a day and Thanksgiving break will be here and I will get to see her again. What is so bothersome to me is I spent so much of her youngest years wishing for the next stage: I can't wait until she sleeps through the night, I can't wait until she walks by herself, I can't wait until she can ride a bike, I can't wait until she goes to school, I can't wait...the list goes on. Suddenly, all my can't waits came true and I find myself wishing for so many of those days back. But it is not possible to reverse the passage of time. I cherish those memories of her youth and attempt to accept that change is inevitable and growing up has to take place. Then I thank God for allowing me to have her, for making her my best friend, and for the fact that she is able to attend college at all. I have much to be thankful for I know. Yet, I still can't help but start a countdown of days until she comes home again!



No comments:

Post a Comment