Sunday, August 21, 2011

self

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others." (Philippians 2:3-4)

Everyday I am faced with situations in which I have to make a decision. I never thought about how often I make these decisions based on myself...what do I want to do, how will this affect me, how much of my time will this take, etc. For some things it would be important to consider these things. For example, when I make the everyday decision on what to wear, it would be important to consider my plans and where I would be going that day. But, in reality, I wonder if I really heeded the above verse, would my decisions sometimes be different?

As of late I have become more and more aware that this earth is not my home. I truly am just passing through and on to something so much better. The things that I do and accomplish here may or may not count for eternity. Since my goal is to please the One who died for me and has eternal rewards waiting for me, I should be concentrating on doing things here on earth that will count for eternity. I cannot do this when all my decisions are based on my comfort, my feelings, my time, my money and my well being.

I hope to be able to keep this perspective as I am faced with decisions big and small in the near future. Instead of looking to please myself I want to look to the interests of others thereby pleasing God instead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment