Thursday, May 7, 2009

revelations

No, not the book of the Bible Revelations...a small "r" on purpose. I have had some revelations today. It is a gorgeous spring day in Central Minnesota today. As I type this entry, it is 75*, sunny with a few clouds, and breezy. The breeze is keeping the house cool enough to bake chocolate chip cookies this afternoon. I sat outside on the deck today to eat my lunch of last night's leftovers. There was a red-headed woodpecker in the tree making a beautiful racket, a red winged blackbird sitting on the dog kennel singing beautifully, and a chipmunk scurrying about collecting food the squirrels had dropped. For just a short while, I didn't hear the traffic out front, or trains going by or Zach's music playing from inside the house. I was lost in nature. I thought how awesome God had made this world for us and how little we often stop to take it all in. Then I thought of the last few days with Mr. Well Rounded's friend. The stress, worry, anxiety tried to break through again. That is when I had my revelation. If it were not for the things in this life that bother, hurt, worry, stress, and all out tax me, I would easily fall in love with this world. I would easily seek to gather all the "stuff" I could so I could be like others in my life--drive a nice vehicle, wear name brand clothes, eat out most nights for dinner, buy my kids the things they want but do not necessarily need--all things even many of my Christian friends around me do. How often have I heard the lament from my oldest daughter that someone's parent bought THEM a car...why won't you buy me one? I know if I could I would buy her a nicer one than someone else had just so she would look as good as others, but what would that be teaching her-- to fall in love with the things of this world. When we die or Christ returns, whichever comes first, those things will be left behind for the looters to take. They will not be necessary in our real home. Perhaps this is why God sends trials and troubles into our lives...to keep us from falling in love with this temporary dwelling. So, while I am here, I will try to enjoy the gifts given to me...those that cost money as well as those that are free from God--birds, waterfalls, flowers, growing vegetables, rain, sun--and remember that even better things await me when I reach my final destination.

1 comment:

  1. i am so sorry for the stress and pain you and your family and friends have been going through. major mental illness is horrifying. this child sounds like he has had a psychotic or schizophrenic break and needs medication. her is a link - does this sound like him? http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=54&ContentID=23036

    it is a shame to let him continue to be so out of control and terrified. i am praying for his healing.

    ReplyDelete