Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Oh Summer...

Summertime is in full swing. If you know me at all, you know that I am not summer's biggest admirer. While I enjoy the laziness of the days and the lack of structure for a bit, I despise the heat and humidity that come with the season. I have never understood why people complain about the cold in January by saying, "You can't do anything. It's just too darned cold to go outside." Well, we have a heat intensity warning. The weather service has advised staying indoors due to the extreme heat index forecast for tomorrow. How is that any different from January?

Actually, this post is not a rant about summer weather. I bet if you scrolled through the archives you would find a post from last summer that covers that rant. This post is about the activity opportunities that summer presents. Or, should I say, presents for most people.

On any given day this week, one can sign onto facebook and read posts about Valleyfair, camping, vacations to Dsineyworld, cruises, mountains in Colorado or Wyoming, and a myriad of other fun things that families are doing this summer. Not our family though. No, the biggest thing Miss Bookworm and I have to look forward to each day is a trip to Walmart--Target if we are lucky. We have no money nor a vehicle that can get us anywhere for summer fun. I would love a day at the wave pool while Miss Bookworm would love a day at Valleyfair. Neither of us are going to get our wish granted. Mr. Accountant has been gone every night this week, reffing soccer games. We need the money. We still won't get to do anything fun.

I am miserable. I realize I am choosing to be this way and perhaps, if I really struggled with it, I could break out of this pit. I don't think so though. I hate the life I have built and I resent the fact that we get to do nothing remotely fun. I can pretend to be happy and content but the truth is I just am not. I so much wish we could do a few fun things over the summer. I know that won't happen and at the close of summer 2011, another school year will start with nothing worth remembering from the lazy days of summer. Nothing, that is, except the misery of heat, humidity and boredom from a 15 year old who wants to have some fun on her break but cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment